Thursday, November 10, 2016

Daily Diet + Exercise Plan + Workout Gear

Today I wanted to share a little bit about my current diet and work out plan.  I am always on a mission to tone up and get fit and I feel like I finally have a good routine down.  I am 36 and since I am most likely done having babies I really want to try and be in the best shape I can.  
My goal is to feel good in a bikini next Summer.  I always wear one pieces because I feel too uncomfortable about my body in a two piece and I want to change that.  I am not getting any younger so I want to proudly rock a two piece while I can. 

I recently started doing some one on one training twice a week and I swear 3 weeks in and I can already see small results.  I reached out to my barre teacher Ashley Morris (at Pivotal Fitness) about training me one on one.   She has an amazing body and I love her classes.  They are not typical barre and really challenge you in a good way.   I knew she would hold me accountable and help me see the results I wanted.  If you live locally and are interested in training with her you can email her at chucktownfitchick@gmail.com.  She is amazing and trust me her body is insane- major goals. 

Ashley wanted me to have 5 set workout days.  Some weeks I only make 4 days but 5 is always my goal.  I prefer to knock them out during the week so I can relax on the weekend.  I always workout from 8:30-9:30.  I take Sterling to school around 7 come home and change and get Frances ready for school then head to the gym.  Her school doesn't start til 9:45 so she comes to the gym nursery with me.  That was a huge reason why I joined this gym because of child care.  I am the type of person where if I don't work out first thing in the morning I will make excuses, so I like to get my workouts done early.  Now that I have been going more often I feel like my body actually craves gym time.  I feel so much better on my gym days.  

This is my current schedule:

MONDAY- 1 hour barre class
TUESDAY- 1 hour training session
WEDNESDAY- Red Zone class - this is a boot camp similar to orange theory lots of cardio and circuits
THURSDAY- 1 hour barre or yoga
FRIDAY - 1 hour training session

For our training sessions we do mainly weights and ab work.  I really didn't lift any weights prior to this so I feel like I am starting to get more definition.  We focus all over the body and do leg work, arms, butt and abs.  Either before or after we train she has me to the stair mill for 15 minutes at between a 5-7 pace.  That machine is the devil.  I hate it and I am always so sweaty afterwards but it burns a lot of calories in a short amount of time. 

After 6 weeks I will give you guys an update.  We did some initial measurements and I will be curious to see the results.  So far I have lost 3 pounds and I am feeling more toned, my stomach also feels flatter.  

D I E T 

As far as my diet goes for the most part I eat fairly healthy.   I have really tried to cut out processed foods.  This is really hard for me because I love crackers, gold fish, cereal, if its a snack food and processed you name it and I used to snack on it.   I am getting used to it though and don't crave that stuff like I used to.  On the weekends I give myself a little more leeway.  I am not super strict, I love food so if I have a dinner out I am going to indulge and eat what I want.  

Here is a sample daily diet of what I eat.  Keep in mind I am not a nutritionist this is just me trying to eat healthy and feel good.  Everyone has different bodies and body types so you gotta do what works for you! 

B R E A K F A S T 
I always start the day with hot lemon water.  Followed by one cup black decaf coffee.  My breakfast is usually PB on whole grain toast and a little yogurt. I have been too burned out on eggs to eat them. Ashley said the complex carbs of the multigrain bread and the protein from the yogurt were a good morning combo to eat before I work out.  Since I work out from 8:30-9:30 I usually eat breakfast around 7:30.

After I work out I usually hit up Starbucks.  Probably a bad treat but I love it,  They just opened a drive through Starbucks beside my gym and it is bad news.  I usually get a tall decaf almond milk latte.  I also like a non fat green tea latte.   I have mentioned this before but after I had Frances I gave up most caffeine.  It was making me feel jittery and anxious and I feel so much better without it but I do still love my coffee.  

L U N C H 
I usually try and prep a few salads to have on hand for my lunch during the week although I typically eat lunch out at least one day a week with friends.
This week was No Mayo Broccoli Salad + White Bean Salad

The week before was Greek Salad + Couscous.

Tuna + White Bean Salad and Hummus is another go to lunch.

If I do eat lunch out I try and do a salad.  This week I ate at Taco Boy and had the Chicken Salad.

D I N N E R 
Dinner is a little more of a wild card.  I have been trying to cook healthier on a whole.  A few recent dinners I have had the past few weeks.  
Arugula + Crispy Prosciutto + Blue Cheese + Figs + Roasted Sweet Potatoes



S N A C K S 
I honestly don't snack much.  If I do it is string cheese, olives or nuts.  

A L C O H O L + B E V E R A G E S 
Yes,  I still have alcohol.  I would rather cut back on calories during the day to allow for a glass or two of wine at night.  As far as other beverages go I only drink water, sparkling water or unsweet tea during the day.  


F A V O R I T E  W O R K O U T  G E A R

I bought these Nikes over the Summer and love them.  They are the TR 6 OC Training ones.  They are light weight and work perfectly for the exercises I have been doing. 
I have this black color, they are 20% off right now.





My two favorite workout pants are both high waisted.  After two kids I need all the help I can get sucking it in.  I highly recommend both of these.  Sizing wise I wear a small in the Zella ones and a 6 in the Lululemon ones.  

These are a bit more expensive but I promise you worth every penny.  These make me feel like a million bucks when I have them on,  The material is fantastic and they really suck you in and are so flattering.

I love this top because it is not too fitted and it has the cutest back.  I own this in a few colors.  

I am wearing it here in navy., paired with the black lulu pants and nikes above. 

I have mentioned before but I prefer tops that are not super fitted when I workout.  I love this style.  The cotton is so soft, I usually wear this for barre classes.



This is great to toss on over any workout tank.  It is so soft too!  I have the black but I am thinking of getting another color. 


This is my favorite jacket to toss on when it is cold.  I find it is super flattering.  I am wearing a size 6. 

This was a Christmas gift last year and I love it!  I like to bring my own mat for barre and yoga.
Also available in several other patterns HERE






9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love when you share these posts!! I Wish I could do better at lunch like you. I keep saying I'm going to try and be more prepared because that's half the battle, but I haven't taken the time to do it on the weekends or on Mondays. I'm usually in the car around lunch time and have gotten really bad about eating out for lunch.

Laura said...

I love having a bit of insight into others' workout routines/diet. Does Matt still eat primarily vegetarian? I struggle with eating healthy when my husband wants nothing to do with it! I feel like a short order cook and he's a bad influence!

Mary said...

Natalie, I LOVE your blog. I've been reading for at least 2 years. I see you around town quite a bit as our paths cross often, but am to "starstruck" to say, "hello". I just joined PF in West Ashley as well and love it. I love Ashley M and her RZ class is killer. I'll have to try her barre class soon. Also, my boys are at the same Day School as Frances Moon. My oldest Jack was in her class last year. Small world! Have a great day!

Heather said...

You look great!

natasha {schue love} said...

Love these posts!! I've been doing spin 3x a week + a bootcamp on Sundays but should probably try to get one more workout in...I just HATE getting up at 5am! :( And love reading about your diet--and your honesty about wine! A girl after my own heart! XO

Kelsey said...

This was so helpful!!! Were moving to Charleston (James Island) in March and I've been wracking my brain trying to find a good gym! Pivotal fitness it is! Do you pay per classes or for a monthly membership? My kids love the kids club too so that is so nice that they have one! Excited to try it out! Thank you so much for the recommendations! Maybe I'll run into you there one day! :)

Laura Bridges said...

Would you mind sharing the ab work that your trainer focuses on? I've also had two kids and would love to tone up the abs but never feel like I'm doing the right exercises. Thanks!

Nat said...

Love posts like these! I need to be better about making lunches like you do, I feel like I always eat my kids leftovers. I was doing so well working out with a trainer and I stopped about 6 months ago. I've been so lazy since then but need to get back into it- thanks for the motivation!

Taylor said...

You know I love, love these posts! You always look amazing :) I used to do Barre with my girlfriends every week in Chicago. I've been too lame to go by myself to a class yet but there is a pure barre right down the street from our new place so I REALLY need to just GO! I push myself so much more in a class versus at home where I can just stop and catch my breath and restart. Can't wait for more updates - and you are ready to rock a two piece in style already if you ask me lady!

It's The Little Things