Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Chopped Fall Harvest Salad With Maple Dijon Vinaigrette



I told you guys I would be back with a recipe involving some meat:)  This salad is the bomb diggity.  Super filling and full of so many killer flavors.  I of course have a slight kale obsession so I used that for my lettuce base but you could totally used mixed greens if you prefer.  I like the lettuce shredded because it is easier to mix it all up and bite size.  Radicchio is a slightly bitter lettuce which I really like.  If you don't like it leave it out or sub red cabbage.  I love the color of the purple in the salad.

There is this salad at Cypress, a local restaurant here in Charleston,  that has Brie in it and is good.  It inspired me to add it to my salad.  I normally would have done a blue cheese or goat cheese but brie takes it to another level. The creamy brie is a winner, especially paired with the apples.  The chicken helps the salad to be more filling and bacon is always a good idea. 

A little tip for the butternut squash buy it already diced.  It saves you so much time and arm pain.  Butternut squash is so hard to peel and dice up.  Most grocery stores now carry it already peeled and diced.  Makes things so much easier.  

Two other quick tips : I buy a rotisserie chicken and just shred the meat off that.  Saves so much time and I don't have to dirty up extra dishes cooking the chicken- plus I hate dealing with raw meat.   I also buy microwave bacon (boars head is the best) and I just slightly reheat between paper towels to crisp it up about 30 secs.

I always arrange my salads on a platter like this because well it just looks pretty and it saves well.  I normally prepare dinner during nap time and then just pull it out at dinner.  This way each person can scoop and serve what they like to eat.  My kids won't eat the lettuce but I can serve them the other ingredients. For my vegetarian friends this salad is still delicious without the meat so leave it off if you want.
Enjoy!


|| C H O P P E D  F A L L  H A R V E S T  S A L A D ||

-1 Bunch green or red kale shredded (I used a combo of both)
- 1/2 head radicchio shredded
- 1/2 avocado chopped
- shredded chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken)
- roasted butternut squash
- 1/2 apple sliced (I used a Pink Lady)
- 6-8 pieces cooked bacon crumbled
- roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- chopped Brie

Toss the chopped butternut squash with olive oil and salt and pepper.  Place on a baking sheet and roast at 350 degrees about 20-25 minutes until fork tender. Don't overcook because it will get too mushy.
Assemble all other chopped ingredients on a platter.

|| M A P L E  D I J O N  V I N A I G R E T T E ||
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper

whisk all together.

Assemble Salad and serve with dressing.



6 comments:

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

YES. I need to make this. Everything in it sounds so good. Brie in a salad? OMG... drooling.

English said...

Bacon IS always a good idea!

Anonymous said...

How have I never put brie in a salad?? So clever. And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one whose kid won't eat lettuce. Ugh.
- Jenny

Jo said...

Oh yum! Great combo- thanks for sharing!

cameronfoster7 said...

Never commented before but this salad was amazing! Added a few other roasted veggies and replaced the bacon with pancetta because that is what I had on hand. Yum - thanks!!

Demo said...

Look great. Want to eat this. Thanks