Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Ultimate Veggie Sandwich + Favorite Knives



Meet my new favorite lunch.   I just adore a good veggie sandwich.  If a restaurant has that on their lunch menu I usually order it.  I decided it was time to try and create my own.  I tried this out several different ways but this was my favorite combo.  You really need the flavors of the pepper jack cheese and humus to make this sandwich pop.  Lately I have been loving the Roots lima bean hummus, so that is what I used for this sandwich.  But use your favorite hummus and any combo of veggies you have on hand.  I think this would also be great with sliced bell pepper and sprouts.
The warm toasted bread with melted cheese, creamy hummus and crisp veggies is a killer combo.


A legit veggie sandwich that will keep you satisfied.

|| U L T I M A T E   V E G G I E  S A N D W I C H ||

- 2 slices multi-grain bread ( I like Ezekiel or Eureka Organic Bread)
- 1 slice pepper jack cheese
- hummus ( I used Roots Lima Bean)
- Tomato sliced
- Cucumber sliced
- Red onion thinly sliced
- Grated Carrot (I use my cheese grater for this)
- 1/2 avocado sliced and drizzled with lemon juice

Toast the bread with the pepper jack cheese about 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted and bread toasted.  Remove from oven and spread on the hummus.  Layer on veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Enjoy!

.......................................................................................

I also wanted to talk about chopping veggies and what knives I use.  I had a reader request wanting to know how I chop everything so finely and what knives I use.  Chopping vegetables can be the most difficult thing without proper knives.  I used to think it was ridiculous to pay a lot of money for knives.  In fact I never really had good knives until about 2 years ago.  It was my brother in law and sister who introduced me to Global knives and they seriously changed the way I chop. I asked for some for Christmas 2 years ago and have been hooked ever since.   They make it so easy and effortless.  They really help chop everything more precisely. 

 Now be prepared these knives are not cheap but honestly you don't need a ton of them.  I have 3 good ones that I use.  Not that I would not like to add more to my collection one day but these get the job done.
This is not sponsored at all, I just really love Global Knives.  Occasionally you can get lucky and find them at Homegoods but they are pretty hard to find there.

I really like this 3 piece set. and it is on sale for 50% off right now.  It is a great started set to let you try out 3 different knives.

If you want to start smaller this 2 piece set is also great and also on sale
Use code FREESHIP to get free shipping on all the knives at Sur La Table.

If you want to just try one knife first, I really like this one.  The size is great for chopping most everything.






4 comments:

Portuguese Prepster said...

I make the same exact sandwich for myself all the time! SO GOOD. It's all about the pepper jack.

Leslie said...

I like to make a sandwich very similar to this too. There is nothing better than fresh veggies!

Lindsey Lately Blog said...

Yes! Knives make such a difference, but I had no idea until I started using the real deal! I used to use steak knives to chop vegetables...my parents gave me some Victorinox knives for my birthday, and it's made life so much simpler! ;)

Allie said...

Yum! I have been a vegetarian for about 8 years and sandwiches have always been my favorite food. My go to is kind of an avocado-Greek salad sandwich. I use toasted sourdough, drizzle with a little EVOO and honey mustard, then spinach, arugula, avocado, tomato, pepperoncinis, red onion, chunks from a block of good feta, and some jalapeños. Now I'm hungry!