Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Shrimp Tacos + Peach Salsa

Tacos are definitely in my top 10 favorite foods.  I love them and I love trying to dream up new combinations.  We make a pineapple salsa that we absolutely love but after recently reading my friend Liz's blog and seeing her peach salsa, I was inspired.  Especially since peaches are in season and so delicious right now! This meal would have perfect except our shrimp just did not taste that fresh.  I usually try and buy our seafood from a local shop but this time I was lazy and bought at the grocery store and they just tasted old.  So buy good shrimp it makes a difference.  When it was all said and done we ended up eating veggie tacos minus the shrimp and they were still amazing.  All the flavors still work together with or without the shrimp.  If you don't want to do shrimp because I scared you with my bad shrimp (haha) these would be awesome with a flaky white fish like mahi, or flounder.  The star is the peach salsa.   A touch of sweetness and spiciness pairs so well with seafood.  Also letting the shredded cabbage sit in lime juice and salt really brings out some nice flavor. It is a tip I learned from Gwyneth Paltrow and I do it every time we make fish tacos.
The salsa does not really save for more than a day so try and enjoy it the day you make it!



|| S H R I M P   T A C O S  +  P E A C H  S A L S A ||

- 1 pound peeled and devined shrimp
- 2 tablespoons taco seasonings
- 1 bag shredded cabbage
- I lime
- 1 can refried black beans
- Mexican quesco fresco cheese
- 4 ripe peaches, diced
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 ears corn
- 1/2 red onion finely diced 
- flour shells

Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil and taco seasoning plus a few dashes of hot sauce.  In a large skillet add a little canola oil and heat it up.  Add shrimp and cook until pink about 5-7 minutes, tossing a few times.

Roast ears of corn at 350 degrees about 10-15 mins just to slightly cook.  You can wrap in foil or just lay on a baking sheet.

Toss the shredded cabbage with the juice of one lime and salt.  Let sit about 30 minutes before serving.

Heat refried beans.  Wrap flour shells in foil and briefly heat in oven.

Mix peaches, red onion, corn, and jalapeno in a bowl.  Add salt to taste and if desred a little lime juice.

To serve layer shell with beans, cabbage, shrimp, crumbled queso freso and salsa!






4 comments:

Unknown said...

These look incredible!!! I've been looking for a good recipes with peaches lately and I love shrimp tacos!! Thank you :)

natasha {schue love} said...

Shrimp tacos are my weak spot! Love them and these look delicious!

Beets and Bratwurst said...

Would love to know what you think of adding garlic and cilantro the next go around!

http://beetsandbratwurst.blogspot.com/2015/08/james-and-giant-peach.html

Leslie said...

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. :)