Tuesday, January 13, 2015

My Favorite Cookbooks + Mediterranean Lentil Salad

At the beginning of a New Year I am always inspired to cook more and try new recipes.  One of my goals this year is to use my cookbooks more and make more fresh meals for my family. 

I often get requests about my favorite cookbooks, so here are my all time favorites. Now keep in mind I am a cookbook hoarder, I love to read them and collect them.   I probably own 50+.  These however are the most used cookbooks, the recipes never disappoint.  So if you are looking to add some new cookbooks to your collection or to start a collection these are all wonderful!


I just ordered this cookbook right before Christmas and it is quickly becoming a favorite.  We made the Coconut Oatmeal for breakfast this week and it was so good.  If you are looking to detox or clean up your diet it is a great book.  It has two different detox options 3 days or 21 days and it is filled with healthy recipes that are delicious.

Our overnight coconut oatmeal, so good!


It is no secret I am a huge Ina Garten fan.  Like I am kind of obsessed with her, I should start a fan club. She knows how to entertain and do it right.   Her recipes never disappoint ever.   I own every single one of her cookbooks and love them all, but these 3 are my favorites.  

Good starting points: the kale chips, warm butternut squash salad, tomato tarts, quinoa tabbouleh,  Parmesan roasted broccoli, confetti corn, I could go on and on!



I also have a major crush on Gwyneth Paltrow- she can do no wrong in my eyes and trust me her food is good.  I have loved every recipe I have made from her books.
If you need ideas of where to start : The Lettuce Wraps, Stir Fry Chicken,  Roasted Cauliflower are favorites.



These two cookbooks have such beautiful pictures and recipes.  I get so inspired just flipping through them.  The Williams Sonoma Salad book is filled with salads for each season.  I am a huge fan of salads and this one has 365 salad recipes.  The Sprouted Kitchen has so many healthy delish recipes.


.....................................................................................


 I wanted to share a new recipe too.  I posted this lentil salad recipe on instagram and so many of you wanted to know about it!  This is a new recipe from my mom's friend that I made for lunch this week and it was so good and filling.  It is a great healthy salad full of flavor.  I recommend you use the Trader Joes precooked lentils, available in the fridge section.  They are perfect for this salad.  I think it would be delicious with feta added in as well.  You can easily make this ahead but I think it is best served at room temperature.
Enjoy!


|| M E D I T E R R A N E A N   L E N T I L   S A L A D ||

- 2 cups lentils rinsed (I highly recommend the Trader Joes precooked lentils in the fridge section)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced thinly
1/2 kalamata olives sliced
1/2 English cucumber diced

Dressing \\
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
-3 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from one lemon)
-1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoons dijon
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
-1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper


Mix lentils and all ingredients then pour dressing over the top.  This can be stored in the fridge for several days but it is best served room temperature.




6 comments:

Eloquently Emily said...

These look like great cookbooks! I just made one of my favorite tuna salads from one of Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbooks- so fresh and yummy! The lentil salad looks great, easy for a week day meal!

Unknown said...

ohh i want that oatmeal! xo jillian - stop by! I'm hosting a giveaway on cornflake dreams

Portuguese Prepster said...

I'm a huge Ina and GP fan as well! All of their recipes are fairly easy and delicious.

Marychris said...

I wanna join the Ina fan club! ! I could care less about GP, but that's ok :)

Kristen [Playground Prepster] said...

I have wanted to try an Ina cookbook - is there one that is more vegetarian friendly than the others?

Alison said...

Super Ina obsessed too... ha! I would love to be her when I grow up ;) Great post!
Alison
Http://thislifewellloved.blogspot.com