Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chicken and Kale Casserole


I can't believe I have not posted this recipe yet! I made it almost two months ago and had totally forgotten about it.  I am a hug fan of casseroles or any dish that can be prepared ahead of time.  That way I can cook at nap-time then at dinner all I have to do is pop it in the oven.  This dish makes alot, I separated it into two dishes and brought half to my sister in law who had just had a baby.  If you buy a rotisserie chicken this is super easy to make.  Not many ingredients but they all pair together really well.  I love the addition of the lemon in it, it adds such a nice unexpected flavor.  Plus since there is kale in it you are getting a serving of leafy green veggies for the day.   I of course had to tweak the recipe by adding more cheese- everything tastes better with extra cheese!
This is such a great weekend night meal! 
Enjoy!



|| C H I C K E N   A N D  K A L E  C A S S E R O L E ||
Recipe adapted via Martha Stewart
INGREDIENTS
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3/4 pound large pasta shells
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced medium
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 bunches kale (1 1/2 pounds), tough stems and ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
  • 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 container (28 ounces) part-skim ricotta
  • 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan, grated 
  •  1 Container Cottage Cheese
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella
  • salt and pepper to taste

  1. Step 1

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain; return to pot. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is beginning to soften, 4 minutes. Add kale, cover, and cook until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to pot with pasta.
  2. Step 2

    Stir in chicken, ricotta, cottage cheese, lemon zest, and 1/2 cup Parmesan, and mozzarella; season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; top with 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake until top is golden, 30 minutes.

 



18 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh YUM -- I have everything to make this -- might make it for din din tonight. Looks so good!

Lindsay, XO Lindsay said...

Looks amazing! And for a casserole, doesn't seem too unhealthy. I'm a big fan of anything I can prepare ahead of time!

Nickie said...

This looks so good. I love dinners in a single pan/pot. I'm making this asap!
I am a little behind on my blog reading, but in response to your motherhood post, I totally agree with you. I think there is difficulty no matter if a mother stays home or goes back to a job outside of the home. And we all suffer guilt either way. :{ We just need to all be there for one another.

Baby Shopaholic said...

OMG! This looks delish! I need to take a day off to try your recipes!

Jenn @ Bliss to Bean said...

OH I need to try this. It looks delicious! Thanks for posting!!

Amber Steel said...

Yum! This looks really delish!

Val said...

You had me at casserole! I love anything that cooks in one dish.

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!

Ally Harding said...

Can't wait to make this! Thanks for posting!

Victoria said...

This combines my 3 faves! I think my kids would eat it too! I'm totally making this tonight, thanks:)

Portuguese Prepster said...

yummm! your recipes always make me so hungry!

Unknown said...

Okay this sounds amazing...definitely adding it to my list of recipes!

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Oh I'm going to make this one!

17 Perth said...

Yes and Yes. I love dinners like this--easy--but GOOD! Thanks!

Delta Daisies said...

You are the best cook!

Jillian said...

yum! i want to try this recipe! i havent gotten on t he kale train but i think i can do it mixed with cheese n chicken! xo jillian - cornflake dreams

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting. This looks delicious and I would like to try making it this week! Your recipe calls for 1 container of cottage cheese--could you clarify which size? Thanks and love your blog!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! This sounds good and I'm going to put it on our menu this week! Question... What size container of cottage cheese do you use?